Monday, March 19, 2012

Update on height...and other stuff.

So I tried to measure her height today...I made her stand by the doorjamb and marked it and measured.  She was 27 inches, which is no difference from the doctor visit at almost 10 months.  Then I noticed as she was playing with her swing (walking between the legs) that her head just brushed the top where the legs connect.  So I measured that and it was 28 inches.  So maybe she grew. :)

Today I moved her mattress down in her crib.  Here is the saga of the crib mattress height.  When we put the crib together we put in the mattress support the way it was "supposed" to be but then the highest height was probably where you'd want it for a baby who is sitting up and/or crawling, quite a bit too low for a baby so little.  So we put it in the "wrong" way which got it high enough.  Within the last month or so (maybe longer) she's learned how to get to sitting from her belly, which is what she sleeps on now.  So I moved the mattress down, with the support in the "wrong" way.  Well, when my parents were here my mom commented on the fact that the mattress was probably high if she started standing when she's supposed to be sleeping.  I didn't really care about that since when she wakes up at night she usually just lays there and cries, maybe at the most pushing herself up on her hands.  However, I started thinking about naps...sometimes I'll lay her down thinking that she's asleep and she'll wake up minutes after I leave and sit up in bed and play a little.  So I thought maybe I should move it down just in case, especially after I purposefully put her in there to play and she pulled herself up and the top bar of the side was a little above waist height. 

Thus, I'm moving the mattress down.  Even on the lowest setting with the support in the "wrong" way, still at least 1/3 of her body is above the side of the crib.  So I finally decide to put the support in the "right" way and we finally have the mattress low enough that I'm satisfied.  It seems really low now, but I suppose it's for the best. 

Maybe someday she will play when she wakes up in the night instead of crying.  I even put a little play bumper in the crib now to encourage her to play.  I figure it's probably not much of a danger because like I said, she mostly just lays there and cries when she wakes up.  I also play a playlist we made of the bedtime CDs they have in the nursery at church and a bedtime Mozart CD my mom brought.  I think she does actually like the Mozart one.  Actually, Autumn and I are pretty sure that she prefers classical music to other music.  The one thing I've noticed since I've started playing that music at night is that she goes back to sleep much more quickly with it on, which is great since one night prior to that it took 1.5 hours to get her back to sleep.  Granted, she only woke up twice that night, but it was not fun getting her back to sleep!

One other thing, she's started refusing the bottle from Autumn too.  I'm thinking of having Autumn try giving her the milk via a sippy cup instead.  I tried it today and she would take it from the cup, but only a little at a time, probably because I didn't try it for an actual feeding, just in between feedings.

Sorry I haven't posted many pictures lately.  I'm lazy.  I'll have to hook the camera up to the computer or bother Nate to send me the pictures on his phone and post some next time.  The unfortunate thing is that the built-in camera on my school laptop doesn't work anymore (shh...don't tell the IT people).  I'm not sure why, but I'm not going to say anything about it until it's essential to use it for school, which it never has been to this point.  Point being that I can't just take pictures of Braelyn using my computer, which was always really convenient.  Ah well, next time.  Maybe next time I'll tell you all about Tangle prayers too, which we learned about in Bible study this Sunday.  It's really neat...

No comments: